Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Thoughts from Chapel Tuesday morning

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.
George Santayana,



I was in chapel this morning at HQ, where James Craig gave us an enlightening overview of a biblical theology of land, and how it applied to the history and legacy of his hometown of  Mississauga ( where our HQ is situated) as well as to the Mississauga Tribe who previously owned this land and had it wrested from by through force and deception.

The Mississaugas were a deeply spiritual people who actually converted en masse ( without exception) in the 1820’s to Christianity under the preaching of Peter Jones, a young convert of an English father and Mississauga mother, who would one day become their chief. The phenomena accompanying his preaching – the manifestations if you will – were remarkably similar to those of another move of the Spirit, in Mississauga, known as The Toronto Blessing ( with its epicentre in the controversial Toronto Airport Christian Fellowship). The incontestable fruit of this move of God in the life of the Mississaugas continues to this day.


Peter Jones  ( 1802 - 1856 )


Anyway, let me digress,  I have long considered myself post-denominational. Educated in interdenominational schools and working on what could be considered as the fringes as a church planter and campus guy, I have appreciated my denom but found my spiritual connections and identity well beyond its borders. However, I have to say that for all of its human and cultural warts, I am growing to appreciate the PAOC now more than ever. I love its diversity and the quality of the people I get to work with. I enjoy watching our leaders like Dave Wells, David Hazzard, Murray Cornelius and George Werner in action. As I tell people, “I work in 'the Vatican', and it is basically Dave, David, Murray and George in the corner offices”. Actually, I could name other names as well. They are good at what they do and leaders for the times.


That brings me to James Craig. I love the fact that he combines rigorous historical analysis, biblical theology and a deep hunger for the moving of the Holy Spirit. I love the fact that we have guys like that. I love the desire to connect the past with the present and the future – as does scripture. Last week, Murray Cornelius, our Overseas Missions Boss ( and fellow Regent College alumnus) challenged us to never lose sight of the Greater Hunger. The emerging generation has a righteous passion for Justice and social action. So it should. We are actively involved in such initiatives all around the world. However, as Murray rightly points out, we will lose our way if we ever replace feeding the “ greater hunger” with feeding the “lesser hunger”. It can never be a case of "either/or". In light of the scriptures and in light of  the history of missions, he was absolutely right.

No comments:

Post a Comment